tisdag 14 maj 2013

14 May 2013: Johanna goes Aussie. For real, this time.


This is my last day as a non-Australian. I’m home with a bad cold and by coincidence I began reading through my old blog entries from 2008 and 2009. I have not even looked at this old blog since the last entry in September 2009. What happened? Why did I stop writing?
I think I know what happened.
I laugh out loud sometimes reading. She’s funny! I love her way of seeing pure amusement in everything around her. And it makes me happy to realize that I really like this crazy chic who wrote these entries years ago. She’s still in there, though older and wiser and with new experiences that have demanded reflections and growth.
I have started writing again. I guess that’s how I ended up here, at the old blog. Trying to understand how to continue. Building on the past, or starting something new? And I just decided that Johanna goes Aussie will be officially sunset the moment Johanna actually becomes Aussie. Buried with love. And something new will emerge.
Tomorrow I will make the Australian Citizenship Pledge at the citizenship ceremony at Manly council. Don’t interpret it. If you know me, you know it only means I’ve secured the access to my sanctuary, a place where I know I will always find peace. Without her sacred grounds I would not be the person I am today. And I’m glad that she will from now on always welcome me with open arms, whenever I need her.
From this time forward
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect, and
whose laws I will uphold and obey.
To my best abilities and in accordance with my heart, of course. I would never promise anything more than that! J

Inga kommentarer: